In last week's review of Yossi Dotan's new volume about Watercraft on World Coins, I wrote:
QUICK QUIZ: which coins in the U.S. Statehood Quarter Dollar series picture watercraft? They are all listed and pictured here. How many other U.S. coins (including commemoratives) picture watercraft? This chapter of the book would make a great guide for building an interesting collection and exhibit of U.S. coins.
Author Yossi Dotan writes:
Your quick quiz "Which coins in the U.S. Statehood Quarter Dollar series picture watercraft?" is even better than you imagined: E-Sylum readers who rely on my book to find the answer, will get it WRONG. (Only after publication of the book I found out that there is one more quarter in the series that depicts watercraft). The correct number, including the one I missed, is 8.
Pete Smith writes:
The most recent Red Book that I have at home is from 2005 so I don't have a good source for the modern stuff. The following is what I found:
Statehood Quarters: New Jersey, Virginia, Rhode Island, Maine, Missouri, Florida, Minnesota.
Territories Quarters: Guam, Northern Mariana Islands.
Old Commemoratives: Bay Bridge, Columbian Exposition, Delaware, Hudson - New York, Huguenot, Long Island, Norfolk, Pilgrim, Providence - R.I., Roanoak Island, San Diego - California - Pacific (easy to miss).
Modern Commemoratives: Korean War 1991, Columbus Half 1992, Columbus Dollar 1992, Leif Ericsson 2000.
As to the Amer*** the Beau***** quarters, copyright laws prevent me from describing them.
Pete did very well. Interestingly, he and Yossi both missed the Illinois state quarter (look close! Below is an image of the quarter and a close-up of the Chicago skyline). Pete nailed both Territories quarters.
Below is the complete list provided by Yossi Dotan. Thanks!
Statehood Quarters – copper-nickel clad copper, issued also in .900 silver
1. 25 cents 1999 New Jersey KM-292
2. 25 cents 2000 Virginia KM-310
3. 25 cents 2001 Rhode Island KM-321
4. 25 cents 2003 Maine KM-341
5. 25 cents 2003 Missouri KM-342
6. 25 cents 2003 Illinois KM-343
7. 25 cents 2004 Florida KM-356
8. 25 cents 2005 Minnesota KM-371
9. ˝ dollar 1892-93 .900 silver Columbian Exposition KM-117
10. ˝ dollar dual date 1620-1920 .900 silver, issued also in 1921 Pilgrim Tercentenary KM-147
11. ˝ dollar dual date 1624-1924 .900 silver Huguenot–Walloon Tercentenary KM-154
12. ˝ dollar 1935 .900 silver Hudson, New York Sesquicentennial KM-170
13. ˝ dollar 1935-36 .900 silver San Diego, California Pacific Exposition KM-171
14. ˝ dollar 1936 .900 silver Bay Bridge San Francisco–Oakland KM-174
15. ˝ dollar 1936 .900 silver Delaware Tercentenary KM-179
16. ˝ dollar 1936 .900 silver Long Island Tercentenary KM-182
17. ˝ dollar 1936 .900 silver Norfolk, Virginia Bicentennial KM-184
18. ˝ dollar dual date 1636-1936 .900 silver Providence, Rhode Island Tercentenary KM-185
19. ˝ dollar 1937 .900 silver Roanoke Island, North Carolina KM-186
20. ˝ dollar 1986 copper-nickel clad copper Statue of Liberty KM-212
21. 1 dollar dual date 1953-1991 .900 silver Korean War Memorial KM-231
22. ˝ dollar 1992 copper-nickel clad copper Christopher Columbus Quincentenary KM-237
23. 1 dollar 1992 .900 silver Christopher Columbus Quincentenary KM-238
24. ˝ dollar ND (1993) copper-nickel clad copper 50th Anniversary of World War II KM-243
25. 1 dollar ND (1993) .900 silver 50th Anniversary of World War II KM-244
26. 1 dollar 1996 .900 silver Atlanta, Georgia Olympic Games – Rowing KM-272
27. 1 dollar 2000 .900 silver Leif Ericson Millennium KM-318
28. 5 cents 2004 nickel Westward Journey – Keelboat KM-361
29. 1 dollar 2007 .900 silver Jamestown 400th Anniversary KM-405
30. 5 dollars dual date 1607-2007 .900 gold Jamestown 400th Anniversary KM-406
U.S. Territories Quarters – copper-nickel clad copper, issued also in .900 silver
31. 25 cents 2009 Guam KM-447
32. 25 cents 2009 Northern Mariana Islands KM-466
To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:
BOOK REVIEW: DOTAN, WATERCRAFT ON WORLD COINS VOLUME II
Wayne Homren, Editor
The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. See our web site at coinbooks.org.
To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, write to the Editor
at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
To subscribe go to: https://my.binhost.com/lists/listinfo/esylum
Copyright © 1998 - 2020 The Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS)
All Rights Reserved.
NBS Home Page
Contact the NBS webmaster